Can I get my RMV reinstatement fee thrown out?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Boston, MA

I was arrested over 10 years ago for stolen vehicle at 17, and was stripped of eligibility of driver's license until 25. I owe about $800, which has to be paid before I can apply for permit/license , but could I do a lump sum? Also, should I go in front of a hearings officer and ask if it could be waived seeing as the case has been closed for 10+ years?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Terri D. Leary

    Contributor Level 15


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The chance that a hearing officer will waive the fees is very, very slim. The RMV is likely to tell you that any appeal of the decision was due to be filed within 15 days of receipt of the notice, which also has been more than 10 years. If you want to try, it will cost you $25 for the appeal.

    Providing users with information is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. However, if in... more
  2. Ilir Kavaja

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with attorney Leary. Also, if you can afford to pay, it may be smart to do so, put it behind you, and move on.
    The time and effort required to argue with the RMV at times is not worth saving the money.
    Your call, but keep in mind the SLIM chances you have to succeed.

    Good Luck,

    Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
    30 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA 02116


    The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,649 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,649 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering