Skip to main content

Can I get my requirements for a DWI dropped if I live in another state now?

Bend, OR |

I got a DWI in NH in February 2006. I completed the required program, but was told I needed to do a few more things before being allowed to get my license back. I have lived in Oregon for the past 6 years and would like to get my license here, but DMV is saying I have holds through the state of NH. Do I need to complete the other requirements, or can I attempt to get them dropped since I am no longer a resident of NH?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Most states are in the interstate compact and share information. You need to finish your case in NH before you can get OR to work with you on a new license.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. My advice is to contact the NH DMV to inquire. Some states allow you to get a waiver packet that would release you from some of that state's requirements. Best of luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  3. Your next move should be a phone call to the NH DMV to find out exactly what they need from you, especially after you explain that you've moved to OR and simply want to get licensed there.

  4. Practically speaking, I doubt NH would just drop whatever holds they have on your license. I agree with the other attorneys, you need to go through DMV to get answers.

    ***This is NOT legal advice, please consult an attorney for an answer tailored to your situation.***

  5. Call NH DMV, as a few lawyers have mentioned. Do EVERYTHING they tell you to do to get your licensing cleared up. The fact you've geographically moved is unimportant (otherwise, everyone convicted of a DUII could simply move across a state line after treatment and say, "All done!"), except that it may be a probation violation for moving without permission of the court (but then again, it sounds like a pretty old conviction so I'm guessing you're probation term has expired). Call your old NH lawyer (preferable) or NH DMV (next best) to find out what you need to do! And good luck, I hope you enjoy Oregon, it's a wonderful place to live.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics