Can I get my rehabilitative alimony extended due to the fact my income has changed since divorce

Asked about 1 year ago - Brick, NJ

I was married 12yrs and was awarded rehabilitative alimony with the assumption i was getting into nursing school. I did not know there was a waiting list... and not getting grants and financial aid... Since the divorce my job did major cuts ...lay offs like crazy... My hours were cut from full time 40 hrs hours a week to if im lucky 20 hrs a week and have been going crazy finding work... I am barely putting food on the table for my 2 kids....'

Can I ask for an extension on the alimony because of my financial circumstances

1. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

2

Answered . You need to be able to show that there was a plan for you to become economically self sufficient and that you followed it, however through no fault of your own, you couldn't achieve that self sufficiency.

2. Brad Michael Micklin

Pro

2

Answered . Your question will turn on many factors: whether you agreed to alimony in a property settlement agreement or received it by a trial decision and what happened to your employment and your recent efforts, to name a few.

You should consult with an attorney immediately to protect your rights.

To better assist, below are links to information that will help you.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

Answered . You should ask this question of the lawyer that represented you during your divorce.