Can i get my money back if the police has no proof of probale cause for pulling me over?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

i was pulled over the other day by undercovers they said there reason for pulling me over was i didnt have on my seat belt they took my money and my phone they were answering my phone and read my text messages but they didnt give me a ticket for the reason they say they pulled me over

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Richard Earl Hornsby

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You need to hire an attorney. Under a recent Florida Supreme Court opinion, they cannot look through your phone without a warrant.

  2. Tiffany Vanessa Colbert

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You definitely need to contact an attorney! An attorney can help you retrieve your items from the law enforcement agency and in case some other case comes up related to what police may have seen on your phone. Now, if the money is being kept as part of an "investigation" for a case, it may take a bit to get it back. Law enforcement is permitted to keep items that they "find" until either the investigation or case is over.

    Did you consent to the search of your car/person/phone? There may definitely be some suppression issues (meaning that this very well may have been an illegal stop and search), as my colleague smartly mentioned there is some new law out there that can help with cell phone searches, and getting ahead of this will be your best defense. If you are ever stopped again, make sure you know your rights.

    This information is for general purpose only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney- client... more

Related Topics

Probable cause and criminal defense

Probable cause, which is based on reasonable suspicion and supporting circumstances, is a legal standard under which law enforcement officers obtain warrants.

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,321 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,321 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering