Can I get my money back from a lawyer who did not do his job?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Warrington, PA

I hired a lawyer and paid him upfront. He was suppose to go to court with me but, put it on another lawyer not from his firm. This lawyer did not have my file and was not prepared in court to defend me. He knew nothing about my case. The lawyer I hired didn't call me until mid afternoon the day before my court date. I tried calling him back during that afternoon but he never returned my calls. Can I get my money back? I have since went to another lawyer. This lawyer is looking into see if I was misrepresented and also to see if I can appeal. Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lucreita D. Becude

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . It would appear that you have taken a step to resolving your own question. I would suggest that you contact the PA bar and file a complaint. If the bar finds misconduction, the lawyer will be sanctioned. This could amount to several things: suspension, public reprimand, loss of license or other sanctions that can be imposed by the PA bar. As to your money, this may be a remedy for receiving your funds, however, you did have an attorney present to defend you, you did not state why your original lawyer called you - I have to assume that he told you he could not be present for your trial and retained someone for you. If you were given the information for the new lawyer then I have to wonder did you call him/her prior to your trial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,539 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,539 answers this week

2,831 attorneys answering