Can I get my maiden name back years after my divorce?

Asked over 2 years ago - Port Neches, TX

I want to know if it is possible to get my madien name back now that my kids are grown. I was divorced in 1987 and kept married name because of kids. Now I want to use my madien name and need to know if it is state specific on what I need to do? Do I have to go back to the state we divorced in or can I do this in the state I live in now? What do I need to do and how do I do it?

1. Brian W. Erikson

Pro

1

1

Answered . Sure, you can change your name. Even to your maiden name. Ron Artest (LA Lakers) changed his name to Meta World Peace.

You can review the forms for a name change at the following web link:

http://www.texasnamechange.com/

2. Amber Lynn Nelson

Answered . In Texas, a petition to change your name must be filed in the county where the applicant resides. You have to look at the laws of your state to determine where to file. The Texas Family Code has certain requirements to request a name change. There can also be limitations if the applicant has a criminal record. I recommend hiring an attorney because it is a legal process and someone without a legal background can easily make a mistake. This could mean extra costs and inconvenience if you have to refile or attend court more than once. There are a lot of resources on the internet to help people do this on their own, but there is no guarantee the information out there is correct or up to date.