Can I get my license unsuspended without paying a fine since I have legally had auto insurance the entire time?

Asked over 4 years ago - Rockford, IL

I was pulled over a few months ago for having a head lamp out. The officer gave me a warning for that, but I was given a ticket for not having insurance. I did (and still do) have insurance, but I just didn't have my card on me. I missed my scheduled court date because I didn't have any funds to drive out to the town the court house is in as I am in college and often funds are short. I didn't reschedule immediately, and was sent a letter saying that due to my conviction of not having insurance, my license and license plates are suspended from June 4th to September 4th, but to my understanding the suspension would be revoked if I paid a $300-$400 fine. My question is this: Is there any way I can get out of the suspension without paying the fees now? Ticket was given in Carbondale, IL

1. Luke S. Brown

Answered . I am not licensed in IL. This is a general discussion of the issues only and is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.

Since you did not attend court, you were essentially deemed to have admitted the charge against you, and since it was a traffic-related issue, the suspensions are the penalty. The $300-$400 fine may have been the fine that correlates with not producing proof of insurance, but that is an issue of IL law on which I cannot comment.

You may wsh to contact the Clerk of the Court (where the hearing had been set) and ask the procedure for resetting the hearing; there may be a fee to reset it. Follow the process, pay the fee, and get the hearing reset; attend, and bring with you proof of insurance at the time of the ticket and now. If you can produce proof of insurance at all times material, that may be the end of it.