Can I get my license back with out getting an interlock if I just wait long enough?

I got a dwai and a dui back in 2011. I lost my car so I didnt need a license so I just left it alone, I did do all the classes and complete probation, now I want to know if there is a time frame where I can just get my license back or not matter how much time passes am I going to have to get an interlock?

Denver, CO -

John Lawrence Buckley

John Lawrence Buckley

DUI / DWI Attorney - Denver, CO

You need to file a DMV Form 2056 - Affidavit of Non-Ownership indicating that you do not own a motor vehicle.

Maintain this status for the duration of your suspension.

If you do not take this step, you will have to install an interlock whenever you purchase a car...even if its 20 years from now.

Laurie Ann Schmidt

Laurie Ann Schmidt

DUI / DWI Attorney - Denver, CO

Assuming this is a first offense DUI in Colorado, then you license was most likely be suspended for 9 months; but you would be eligible for a restricted license after 30 days. If you have served the suspended time (9 months) you may now apply for a license. You may be required to install an interlock devise for up to two years after the suspension period (depending on the facts of your case). If you do not own and vehicle, or have one that you use (a family members), you may receive your license by providing a sworn statement that you do not drive nor do you own a car.

Rhidian David Watson Orr

Rhidian David Watson Orr

DUI / DWI Attorney - Denver, CO

Since you did not provide enough information for anyone to fully answer your question, you should call the DMV Driver Reinstatement line and verify your reinstatement requirements. if interlock is required because you have been tagged a PDD (persistent drunk driver) as required under the statute, then you will either need to reinstate with interlock or submit the affidavit of non-ownership to start getting credit off the 2 year interlock requirement.

James C Forslund

James C Forslund

DUI / DWI Attorney - Englewood, CO

If you move out of state, you can get a clearance letter after 9 months. You would not be able to drive in Colorado for two years after that.