Can I get my legal fees returned?

Asked over 4 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I recently had pending criminal charges I hired a private attorney. I paid $2,500 for the preliminary hearing and $7,500 for a waiver trial but the District Attorney dropped the charges Nolle Prosequi before the case went to trial but I already paid the lawyer so am I entitled to any or all of my money back?

1. NiaLena Caravasos

Answered . I agree with the comments of my colleagues, so the answer is probably not. Check your written fee agreement, though, for the exact terms of your agreement.

(Please note that my answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship.)

2. Kevin Feeney

Answered . No. Ask yourself if the DA would have dropped the charges if the you did not have a lawyer ready to go to trial and win the case.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Sounds like your attorney did a great job. Generally under what is called the "American Rule" the parties in court pay their own legal fees. So, barring very unusual circumstances, the answer to your question is no. Think of it this way, without the presence of your attorney in the case, the outcme of the case would likely have been different.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.