Can I get my kids back after a temporary custody order

Asked over 1 year ago - Gastonia, NC

Iwent to prison in 2011 and my kids had yo stay with sumone and during that time they found out they were molested before I went to prison by my boyfriend at the time son and dss of nc gave temporary custody to a family friend who will not let me see my kids now

1. Mikael Ray Gross

1

Answered . Yes, custody can always be modified. You will need to file a motion with the court to modify custody and have a hearing. A judge will review the facts and reasons for your requests and determine if custody should be changed or if you should at least get visitation to try to rebuild the family.

The molestation issues will be very important, why you were in prison, what progress you have made since being released, and what benefits the children are receiving from the current custody situation.

You need to contact a local family law attorney to see what options are available to you and allow the attorney to see the current court order for the children.

2. Lloyd T. Kelso

Pro

Answered . Much depends on your current circumstances and what is in the best interests of your children. Seek to visit them first and then reunification if things go well.