Can I get my husband pardoned?

Asked 10 months ago - Omaha, NE

My husband has recently been ordered to be removed based on his criminal history, and although he has a bit of an undesirable history, he has no felonies and has spent less than 2 years combined total of his 21 years in the states, in jail. Some of his crimes include moral turpitude and terroristic threats( a lot more minor than it seems), however, these crimes were 12-15 years ago, and he since turned his life around and is no longer a threat to anybody. He was our head of household, and I stayed home and I cared for our academically gifted children. We are now facing eviction and being homeless due to the fact that we have not had an income for over 2 months now. My husband is a man of good, moral character now, and carried a lot of responsibility. Could he be pardoned?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Pardon is not an immigration law quesiton. There is no pardon in immigration law.

2. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

1

Answered . Not likely, but contact an attorney to find this out.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Could he be pardoned? Of course. Is it likly: no. Even if it was--its a process that takes a very long time. Being head of household is not a basis for a pardon to crimes.

That said, he MAY have other options. No way to tell on the slim facts you posted here.

Best recommendation: see a local immigration attorney ASAP.

4. Megan Anne Lantz

1

Answered . Please speak to an immigration attorney to determine if your husband has options for remaining in the United States. It depends on his criminal history, the nature of the crimes, etc. We really cannot answer this question without more information. This is a complex area of immigration law and it is best that you consult with an experienced attorney. Good luck!

5. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

Answered . It appears that your husband's case has a long complex history involving what appear to serious criminal issues (e.g. "terroristic threats") which the government takes very seriously. Obviously it would have been better to address this prior to his being ordered removed, but there are appellate options that you should explore and more facts are needed to determine what options are viable and the best way to proceed (for example, you make no reference of is immigration status prior to this all occurring). Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

6. Linda Yin Liang

Answered . Sounds like you meant, by Pardon, that whether your husband may be admissible to US again. Well, it depends on a lot of factors. It is not sufficient to prove his eligibility based on lapse of time since his unknown crime and being head of household. You should consult a local immigration attorney with more facts.