Skip to main content

Can I get my fine reduced for a first offense DUI in Wisconsin?

Superior, WI |

I'm 29yo with a clean record, and was arrested with a BAC of 0.11. Was pulled over for having a brake light out, cooperated completely, and spent the night in jail. Am facing a 6 month DL suspension and $691 in fines. Not a huge sum, I know, but in my present financial situation, even a small reduction would help a lot.

Attorney Answers 3


I agree with the first answer. I would add you may be able to do community service in lieu of some or all of the fine, or you could serve a jail sentence as an alternative. Most likely, a payment plan would be better; and payment plans are often given liberally.

Before you decide to roll over and accept the penalties, however, I recommend you at least consult with a local, experienced DUI defense attorney. A tail light out suggests you were not stopped for impaired driving and very well may have had the clear judgment and steady hand necessary to operate a motor vehicle. Also, there are potential defenses to the .11 BAC. Not sure which ones you have without knowing if this is a breath or blood case.

And by the way: 6 months is the minimum driver license revocation. The maximum is 9 months. (Although with a .11, most jurisdictions would only impose the 6 months.)

Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It may be possible, but this is a better question for an attorney in your area. You may have a good case to defend....of course a private attorney is going to charge you to handle your case, so if your only concern is saving a few bucks and not concerned with the effect of the conviction....then, you may be out of luck with saving money in the short term (although with insurance hikes and how it can effect future employment, it may cost you more in the long run).

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Unfortunately, no. The base fine on a first offense in Wisconsin is $150 to $300, plus mandatory costs, assessments, and surcharges. A total of $691.50 reflects the minimum base fine of $150. It may be possible to get a payment plan. Check with the Clerk's office.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics