Can I get my ex to stop posting lies about me on Facebook?

Beaumont, TX |

My ex has been posting lies about me on his Facebook account from the minor to outright lies about how I am as a mother. We have a clause in our divorce decree against any negative info being spread around our son in front of him, or any relatives of his through blood or marriage and my ex has his family members and some of mine on his friends list. These lies are seriously hurting me and my son, as well as my relationship with mutual friends and family members. People I've never even talked to and don't even know are posting negative things about me as a mother. How can I get my ex to stop doing this? He also has said outright lies about me in large groups of people.

1. I suggest that you contact Facebook and report this conduct as the postings that you describe sound like pretty clear terms of service violations. Also, go back to the court where the divorce decree was entered, and have an attorney file a motion for contempt, attaching copies of all of the Facebook postings. (Save them.)

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.