Can I get my DUI expunged from my record???

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Happened in Sept. 2009. I was 19 years old. No one else was involved. License suspended for 1 year. Since graduated Merrimack college with a Biology Degree. Applying to become an officer in the Navy and need this off my record.

1. David Ashley Haenel

Pro

14

Answered . Unfortunately Florida law does not permit a sealing or expungement for any charge resulting in an adjudication of guilt. Your only hope is a governor's pardon and that is difficult if not impossible.

2. Tiffany Vanessa Colbert

12

Answered . Probably not. Typically DUIs result in a conviction which makes them ineligible to be sealed/expunged. If you pled to a lesser offense (for example Reckless involving Alcohol) and received a withhold of adjudication, then it could be eligible.

3. Michael Leonard Mastrogiovanni

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleague, once you have been convicted of a crime Florida does not permit a case to be sealed or expunged. I would advise being proactive, discussing the issue with the recruiters and show what steps you have taken since and learned from the experience.

Best of luck.

4. Modesto Abelairas

6

Answered . Bad news- DUI convictions cannot be expunged or sealed. The good news is that its not a felony and the military should accept you as you are not a convicted felon- just don't get a second one ever!

5. Majid Vasigh

Pro

5

Answered . Nope

6. Jonathan Burton Blecher

Pro

5

Answered . Consider a Motion to Vacate Judgment and Conviction, though you may be barred by time limits to do so. You could try having an attorney sit down with the head of the State Attorney's Office DUI division, a colleague of mine, and "work something out". It's not outside the realm of possibilities.

Call me if you like.

7. Jonathan Harry Wasserman

2

Answered . If you were convicted then unfortunately you cannot have it expunged. If the charge was dropped then you may be eligible to have your record expunged or sealed.