Can I get my Driver's License with a pending F1 Visa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

I have received my i20 receipt and am waiting to receive my visa. Can I use the i20 receipt and my foreign passport + social security number, etc. to receive my license?
I am 18 years old and live in florida.
If so, what documents do I need?
Thank you!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . More facts about your particular situation are needed to determine your eligibility for a driver's license. There is no such thing as an I-20 receipt. In certain instances a Florida DL can be issued while an change of status application is pending. Consult with an experienced Florida immigration attorney for an evaluation of the facts of your case and a determination of when you will be eligible for a license.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Kyndra L. Mulder

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree. It is best to check with the DMV about their requirements.

  3. Raphael Samuel Moore

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . F-1 students can generally get a social security number as long as they have been offered an on-campus job or already began working, or if they received CPT/OPT. If that is the case, call the SS office near you, or check out the application at

    For driver license, call the Driver License Office nearest you, or check them out on-line. Florida allows F1 students to drive in certain situations, and permits you to get a license in other cases with proof of your I20 and license from overseas.

    Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual. Our aim is to... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,100 answers this week

2,778 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,100 answers this week

2,778 attorneys answering