Can I get my Driver's License with a pending F1 Visa?

Boca Raton, FL |

I have received my i20 receipt and am waiting to receive my visa. Can I use the i20 receipt and my foreign passport + social security number, etc. to receive my license?
I am 18 years old and live in florida.
If so, what documents do I need?
Thank you!

F-1 students can generally get a social security number as long as they have been offered an on-campus job or already began working, or if they received CPT/OPT. If that is the case, call the SS office near you, or check out the application at www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

For driver license, call the Driver License Office nearest you, or check them out on-line. Florida allows F1 students to drive in certain situations, and permits you to get a license in other cases with proof of your I20 and license from overseas.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction.

More facts about your particular situation are needed to determine your eligibility for a driver's license. There is no such thing as an I-20 receipt. In certain instances a Florida DL can be issued while an change of status application is pending. Consult with an experienced Florida immigration attorney for an evaluation of the facts of your case and a determination of when you will be eligible for a license.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation.

I agree. It is best to check with the DMV about their requirements.