Can I get my Driver's License with a pending F1 Visa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

I have received my i20 receipt and am waiting to receive my visa. Can I use the i20 receipt and my foreign passport + social security number, etc. to receive my license?
I am 18 years old and live in florida.
If so, what documents do I need?
Thank you!

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

2

Answered . More facts about your particular situation are needed to determine your eligibility for a driver's license. There is no such thing as an I-20 receipt. In certain instances a Florida DL can be issued while an change of status application is pending. Consult with an experienced Florida immigration attorney for an evaluation of the facts of your case and a determination of when you will be eligible for a license.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Answered . I agree. It is best to check with the DMV about their requirements.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

1

Answered . F-1 students can generally get a social security number as long as they have been offered an on-campus job or already began working, or if they received CPT/OPT. If that is the case, call the SS office near you, or check out the application at www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

For driver license, call the Driver License Office nearest you, or check them out on-line. Florida allows F1 students to drive in certain situations, and permits you to get a license in other cases with proof of your I20 and license from overseas.