Skip to main content

Can I get my court record sealed?

Albuquerque, NM |

my employer just fired me because of a criminal record from 2004. can i get this record sealed? if so how ?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    For New Mexico convictions, only juveniles who were under 18 years of age have their children's court records sealed. Expungement of adult felony records is not possible.

  2. Most states have a process to seal/expunge old criminal records if certain conditions relating to time elapsed and the nature of the original conviction are satisfied. You will need to consult with a local attorney to determine for sure if you can satisfy those conditions. If so, it is usually a simple matter of filing some papers and paying some court fees (and attorney fees if a lawyer does it). Note that often you will need to have separate processes to address the court files as distinct from the arrest/police records because they are entirely different systems.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics