Can I get my court record sealed?

Albuquerque, NM |

my employer just fired me because of a criminal record from 2004. can i get this record sealed? if so how ?

For New Mexico convictions, only juveniles who were under 18 years of age have their children's court records sealed. Expungement of adult felony records is not possible.

what about sealing the court record is that possible?

Stephen D Aarons

Stephen D Aarons

Same answer. Not possible except juveniles and rare cases of actual innocence.

Most states have a process to seal/expunge old criminal records if certain conditions relating to time elapsed and the nature of the original conviction are satisfied. You will need to consult with a local attorney to determine for sure if you can satisfy those conditions. If so, it is usually a simple matter of filing some papers and paying some court fees (and attorney fees if a lawyer does it). Note that often you will need to have separate processes to address the court files as distinct from the arrest/police records because they are entirely different systems.

Stephen D Aarons

Stephen D Aarons

This is not possible in New Mexico except if the court exercises equitable powers upon clear and convincing evidence of innocence. A plea of guilty negates actual innocence