Can I get my citizenship without working?

Yuma, AZ |

I am thinking about getting my citizenship. Right now I am unemployed looking for a job. I am going to school part-time taking classes to get my Associate in Business, I pay for my expenses with a Stafford loan from the gov. Is this a good time to apply for my citizenship since I do not have a job or should i wait until I am employed? Does immigration based their decision on my current employment status? I qualify to get my citizenship for been in this country for 7 years as a LPR

1. Income level is irrelevant when applying for naturalization. It has no bearing on approval whatsoever.

2. You are eligible to apply and I wish you the best of luck! USCIS does not decided o grant your application based on your current employment status or current wages.

Answers on Avvo are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice; specific answers require knowledge of all the facts. You should consult with an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice upon which you can reasonably rely.

3. You do not need to be employed to become a naturalized US citizen. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.