Can I get my citizenship eventhough I have a DUI with two misdemeanor counts?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Mexican, over 15 years with green card, had a DUI 10 years ago and was convicted on two misdemeanor counts cause my Blood Alcohol was .20.... I joined the Marine Corps and went to Iraq, am a veteran but was Other Than Honorably discharged because I did not completed my time as a reservist. Can I still get my citizenship?

1. Francis Rowland Pabst

7

Answered . I have added an Immigration tag for this question as this really should be addressed by a qualified and experienced immigration attorney. Having said that, the DUI is an offense which MAY prevent you from gaining citizenship. However, it is not on the list of offenses which would guarantee you would not get citizenship. Considering the fact that it was so long ago and that you served in the military since I would think that you have a very good chance of gaining citizenship. This also assumes that you have no other offenses in your past. Again, a good immigration attorney will likely provide you with a free consultation in order to discuss your complete record and chances of gaining citizenship. Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

2. Ambrosio Eduardo Rodriguez

Pro

6

Answered . You should be able to get your citizenship, but that is not guaranteed. You should find an immigration attorney that specializes in post-conviction relief for immigrants.

3. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

4

Answered . Possibly/Hopefully. Best thing you can do is hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  4. Michael A Harris

5

Answered . It has been more than 5 years since the conviction. But you should consult with an immigration attorney to review whether you have a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT) under the law where you were convicted. Citizenship may be possible.

5. Anthony David Scott

2

Answered . You need a qualified immigration attorney to answer this question.

Contributions to AVVO.com do not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  6. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

2

Answered . Might be an uphill battle, but you have good factors in your favor.

Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy (619) 855-3003 or (760) 522-7006 criminalattorneysd.com
  7. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Yes, but hire a good counsel to present the application correctly.

8. Patricia Marie Alleborn

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys; it is important to get a good immigration attorney who understands how to navigate these issues. With that being said, a criminal defense attorney may be able to request an expungement in your DUI case. An expungement -- if granted -- may mitigate the effect of your conviction. I have posted some information about expungements on my website, feel free to check it out: http://www.patriciamallebornlaw.com/Expungement...

I hope for a favorable outcome in your case.