Skip to main content

Can I get my child custody case transferred from Cook to Lake County?

Waukegan, IL |

Two years ago, I filed for custody of my son, in Cook County (where we resided at the time). Last year, I was awarded temporary custody; final custody determination has not yet been made. My son and I moved to Lake County, and have now lived here for over a year; the child's father currently resides in another state. Will the Cook County Circuit Court agree to transfer jurisdiction to Lake County, if I file a motion requesting this?

(from my direct comment to Ms. Goldstein's answer) I am certain the Respondent will object to the change (even though he has not resided in the State of IL for several years...), simply because his attorney's practice is literally walking distance from the Daily Center -- is inconvenience to his attorney considered a valid objection?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If your motion is prepared and brought properly, you most likely will be able to have your case transferred to Lake County.

  2. you need not go to court in cook county to transfer the case. file a petition to enroll the case in lake county in the lake county court. we do it frequently.

    i am in libertyville. call for an appointment. bring in all your court papers. thank you.

  3. The case cannot be transferred in the middle of custody proceedings. Afterwards you should be able to enroll in Lake County.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics