Can I get my child custody case transferred from Cook to Lake County?

Asked over 1 year ago - Waukegan, IL

Two years ago, I filed for custody of my son, in Cook County (where we resided at the time). Last year, I was awarded temporary custody; final custody determination has not yet been made. My son and I moved to Lake County, and have now lived here for over a year; the child's father currently resides in another state. Will the Cook County Circuit Court agree to transfer jurisdiction to Lake County, if I file a motion requesting this?

(from my direct comment to Ms. Goldstein's answer)

I am certain the Respondent will object to the change (even though he has not resided in the State of IL for several years...), simply because his attorney's practice is literally walking distance from the Daily Center -- is inconvenience to his attorney considered a valid objection?

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

4

Answered . you need not go to court in cook county to transfer the case. file a petition to enroll the case in lake county in the lake county court. we do it frequently.

i am in libertyville. call for an appointment. bring in all your court papers. thank you.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

2

1

Answered . If your motion is prepared and brought properly, you most likely will be able to have your case transferred to Lake County.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . The case cannot be transferred in the middle of custody proceedings. Afterwards you should be able to enroll in Lake County.