Can I get my alimony plus 1/2 of his retirement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bakersfield, CA

He wants me to sign a paper to drop alimony. We both don't want to hire a lawyer but I need to look out for myself. Since they said until I marry again (which I never will) I get alimony I am a bit confused. trust me He can well afford both. He is bringing in $15,000 a month

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

2

Answered . Yes, you can afford to hire a lawyer and should. You have to protect your rights. If he is making $15K per month, you should get substantial support as well as have enough money to hire an attorney. He does not want you to hire a lawyer because he is afraid you will find out how much you are entitled to. If you do not hire a lawyer you will be hurting yourself and as you mentioned, you have to look out for yourself. If you don't no one will, especially him. Get to an experienced family law lawyer ASAP.

2. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues--DO NOT sign anything without speaking with an attorney first. It will be well worth the money to speak with an attorney of your own, who is going to protect you and be your advocate.