Can I get my alimony plus 1/2 of his retirement?

Bakersfield, CA |

He wants me to sign a paper to drop alimony. We both don't want to hire a lawyer but I need to look out for myself. Since they said until I marry again (which I never will) I get alimony I am a bit confused. trust me He can well afford both. He is bringing in $15,000 a month

Yes, you can afford to hire a lawyer and should. You have to protect your rights. If he is making $15K per month, you should get substantial support as well as have enough money to hire an attorney. He does not want you to hire a lawyer because he is afraid you will find out how much you are entitled to. If you do not hire a lawyer you will be hurting yourself and as you mentioned, you have to look out for yourself. If you don't no one will, especially him. Get to an experienced family law lawyer ASAP.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

I agree with my colleagues--DO NOT sign anything without speaking with an attorney first. It will be well worth the money to speak with an attorney of your own, who is going to protect you and be your advocate.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.