Skip to main content

Can I get my alcoholic father a involuntary commitment?

Saint Louis, MO |

My father has been an alcoholic for years-- he has been in and out of treatment 12-13 times in the last year. He's back to drinking after 90 days of being sober, and we're worried due to the large amounts he's drinking now. We have not had much communication with him recently, but see that he's spending $75-100/ day on alcohol. Is it possible to have him involuntarily committed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It appears that your father needs a guardian. If you live in the same community as your father, you could peition for incapacity and guardianship and if the examining committee and the court found that he is incapacitated due to alcohol, a guardian could be appointed and he could be sent for treatment. If you do not live in the same commumity, it might be better to have a professsional guaridan appointed. If your father is a "danger to himself" because of drinking, this could work. There should be an agency in MO (or wherever he lives) that deals with children and families who have problems of this type. You can check with a guardianship attorney to see what your options could be. Good luck.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer