Can I get married with a expired visa stamp on the passport, but a valid I-20?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Fort Wayne, IN

I'm currently a F-1 visa student. F-1 visa stamp on my passport only valid for 1 year. And I haven't go back for 2 years. However, I do have a valid I-20 form, which will expire next year. I'm still going to school full time. Can I still get married in the U.S without a valid visa stamp on my passport?

I'm going to get married with a U.S citizen. And one of our county's marriage site say :
I must obtain a valid I.D. My passport is valid, but visa stamp on the passport is not valid. I'm not sure if they will consider me being here in the U.S as a valid stay?

1. C. C. Abbott

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my collegue. You need to check with the State authorities for what they will accept to get the marriage license. Show then the I-20 and the passport together if they ask any questions and say the I-20 is your status document.

Once you get married you should contact an experienced immigration attorney in your state who can review your immigration documents. Congratulations and good luck.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You can get married as long as you meet the requirements for marriage in the state where you are getting married.