Can I get married while the termination of my previous same-sex partnership is pending?

In 2010 my ex and I submitted a Notice of Termination to terminate our same-sex domestic partnership. I recently discovered that the partnership was not terminated because we had failed to have it notarized. The paperwork has been resubmitted with the notary summary. I am getting married (opposite sex) in Nevada in just a few short weeks. Is it legal to marry while the termination is pending? If not, is there a loophole or way to expedite the termination? The partnership is in California, the termination is/was filed in California and we are all California residents. There are no shared assets or children involved in the partnership that is being terminated.

1. This is an interesting question. This is not an issue or a fact pattern that happens particularly often. Technically you're still quasi married. There might be no problem if you were to marry before the termination is complete. It's possible you could get it completed pro tunc-- backdated.

but it could also come back to haunt you in several very big ways. I would see if there is anyway I could talk to the cork and ask if the termination can be entered nunc pro tunc. If not, it really is not safe to get married until you finished the previous partnership

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: ECSEsquire@AOL.com. All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

2. I agree, this is a very interesting dilemma. My take is a little different, although admittedly, I really don't know the answer to this question. My thought is however, that "domestic partnership" is not legal marriage and therefore it wouldn't be as if you were getting married while already married, right? If domestic partnerships were the same as being legally married, we'd never have gone through the war over Prop. 8 here in California, or over/through the hurdles of passing same sex marriage laws here in California and across the country.

For more information or more personalized attention, please contact my office at (310) 410-9902 or visit my firm's website at www.waxmanlawgroup.com

3. I believe that you should get the termination of RDP prior to getting married. Think about it in the terms of rights and obligations imposed by the RDP that will be in conflict with the rights and obligations gained and imposed by the subsequent marriage.

I do not believe that there is any case law out there to definitely answer your question, but you may be opening the door for your future spouse to file for annulment of marriage based on the existing RDP at the time of marriage.

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.