Can I get married in the US if I'm on a Visitor visa?

Sunapee, NH |

My fiance is in the midst of applying for an O-1 visa and we both are living in Singapore.
He is British.
I am Singaporean.
He will be returning to the UK next week to attend an interview at the US Consulate for his O-1 visa.

When he gets his O-1 visa, he will go to California. I will visit him in California for 8 weeks. During that period, we intend to get married. I will then return to Singapore. And thereon, I would like to apply for my O-3 visa in Singapore. Is that okay? How long will the O-3 visa application process take?

Thank you.

You can marry anyone you want to marry. You can file to change status here in the U.S. after your marriage. You don't have to leave unless that is a predetermined plan of action. Changes of status are about 2-3 months and as for new stamping, each consulate has different wait times (and who knows what they will be eight months from now).

The ability to get married does not depend on immigration status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You can married to whoever you want on whatever visa you may be as long as both of you have the capacity to marry and the procedure is recognized in the jurisdiction in which you are registering the marriage. No proxy marriages however, even if recognized in the jurisdiction.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Immigration