Can I get married in the US if I'm on a Visitor visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sunapee, NH

My fiance is in the midst of applying for an O-1 visa and we both are living in Singapore.
He is British.
I am Singaporean.
He will be returning to the UK next week to attend an interview at the US Consulate for his O-1 visa.

When he gets his O-1 visa, he will go to California. I will visit him in California for 8 weeks. During that period, we intend to get married. I will then return to Singapore. And thereon, I would like to apply for my O-3 visa in Singapore. Is that okay? How long will the O-3 visa application process take?

Thank you.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . You can married to whoever you want on whatever visa you may be as long as both of you have the capacity to marry and the procedure is recognized in the jurisdiction in which you are registering the marriage. No proxy marriages however, even if recognized in the jurisdiction.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . You can marry anyone you want to marry. You can file to change status here in the U.S. after your marriage. You don't have to leave unless that is a predetermined plan of action. Changes of status are about 2-3 months and as for new stamping, each consulate has different wait times (and who knows what they will be eight months from now).

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The ability to get married does not depend on immigration status.