Can I get married in a state that has gay marriage but live in one that doesnt and then sponsor my husband for a green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Greenville, SC

we want to get married in NY but live in south carolina, can i still get a green card for him?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Sherwin Asa Noorian

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This is a common question. You can be married in any state that will legally marry you. It does not mean you have to continue to reside in that state or ever have to reside in that state. You can get married in Washington DC for example, and then live in Virginia, and USCIS will accept your marriage as long as it is legal and genuine. Immigration rights are federally conferred and have nothing to do with states.

    This is addressed further in a blog post in the link attached.

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Immigration is Federal law.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Viera Buzgova

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes

  4. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . USCIS has recently issued an FAQ regarding same sex marriages. It indicates that they are going to review the marriage petition against the law in which the couple resides. This, if it is policy, will cause consternation and litigation. If you file the I-130 in your state and that state does not recognize same sex marriages, please be ready to litigate. Our office is willing to take these cases up through the district and circuit courts as we believe it is contrary to the holding of U.S. v. Windsor. We hope USCIS will not continue with this path but we are prepared and you should be as well.

  5. Carlos Andres Lopez

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

  6. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . There is no problem getting married and filing the petition. However, CIS has made comment that they may consider "the law of the state of residence in addition to the law of the state of celebration of the marriage" when adjudicating the petition, and that if necessary they will issue guidance in the future. My opinion is that it would be very difficult to deny such a case solely on residence issues IF a heterosexual couple would otherwise be approved under the same circumstances.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,450 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,450 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering