Can i get married before applying for a citizenship? How will it impact my and my fiancee's application for naturalization.

Asked about 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I have been living with my fiancee for the past five years.
In fact, we got engaged three years ago but never found the time to get married.
I would like to apply for my citizenship now and would like to know what are the consequences of getting married now and applying for citizenship a month later? Does this put her or my application at risk since the application and the wedding are taking place (almost) simultaneously.

Thanks for your help.

1. Eugene J. Glicksman

5

Answered . The only difference will be that you will need to complete the information regarding your spouse. Getting married will have no impact on your naturalization.

Good luck to you both!

2. David Wesley Cornish

2

Answered . The most important thing to remember is marriage does not affect the citizenship criteria which is more focused on any previous criminal record, acts of moral turpitude, group affiliations, and other similar considerations.

3. Gintare Grigaite

3

Answered . Getting married does not put you at any risk. After you marry, you will need to include your spouse's information on your application. Also, if she does not have legal status, you may petition for her.

4. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . You will be granted citizenship so long as you satisfy the criteria for citizenship. These include being a person of good moral character. Marriage has no bearing on your application for citizenship.

5. Rebecca T White

3

Answered . As noted, marriage will not impact your citizenship application. If you are marrying a non-citizen, or someone who does not have legal immigration status in the US, there are other considerations you will have, but should be discussed wtih an attorney.