Can I get ITIN number as a F1 student so my boyfriend can file his taxes and put me as a dependent?

Houston, TX |

I am an international student with F1 visa. My boyfriend is U.S citizen and filed his taxes but I heard I could get ITIN number and he could put me as a dependent.. Is this possible?
However I am only going to school full time - not working or anything. Would I still be able to get ITIN number so my boyfriend can use it to put me as a dependent? We live together & he has a job and supports me.

I am not sure about the dependent but the number you can request from the IRS.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Consult with a tax specialist. You can obtain the application form from the IRS website.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Any answers offered by Ms. Koopman on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Is this a tax question or an immigration question? Are you asking whether your boyfriend can get a tax deduction because he is supporting you? Or, are you wondering how adding you as a dependent affects your immigration status?

I am not a tax attorney so I cannot asnswer the first question.

When you received your F-1 visa, you had to show that you or someone else would support you while you were studying in the U.S. Is that person your boyfriend? If so, that might help his case to claim you as a dependent.

I think you need to ask a tax attorney this question.

This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Questions and answers posted to this forum are public and cannot be kept confidential. Although admitted to the District of Columbia Bar, I currently reside in Texas and I am authorized to practice U.S. immigration law worldwide..

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law