Can I get into the rotc program with a general discharge?

Montgomery, AL |

I was enlisted for 2 years before i was discharged for failing a drug test.

1. Nothing about a general discharge will necessarily prohibit you from joining an ROTC. However, having substantiated misconduct on your military record will make it very difficult to receive a commission as an officer.

2. Mr.Beimer is correct. It is not a per se bar, but given the downsizing of the military, they can afford to be very picky. The odds of you getting in are very low.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

3. To answer your question in a word, "yes", but as my colleagues stated, getting your characterization upgraded is a long shot, and the fact that you have substantiated misconduct in your OMPF will make it hard for you to join the officer ranks of any military service. With all that being said, if you want to take a shot at it, give us a call. Read my Avvo profile and call when you are ready.