Can I get income tax help? The IRS is automatically garnishing monies from my checking account. Can you please give me advise?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stamford, CT

Can we get our income tax penalty reduced or forgiven. We owe about $8000. We haven't received a refund check in about 6 years.

1. Louis Theodore Wierenga

8

Answered . There may be options available to you, but without knowing all of the facts it's impossible to say. Contact a tax lawyer to get a better understanding of what your choices could be.

2. Dustin James Wetton

4

Answered . While you may be at this moment concerned about penalties, there may be a better option for you than you are aware of. However, before you think about resolving your tax issue, I would first think about stopping collections. You do not need, nor should be, garnished. As long as you are compliant with your filings, you should be able to put a stop to the garnishments with the IRS. At that time, you should then consider all of your options from an offer in compromise all the way down to a penalty abatement, and see what you qualify for. I would contact a tax attorney to help you with your situation.

3. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

2

Answered . The IRS will continue to levy your checking account until you either enter into a collection alternative or the debt is paid in full. A collection alternative can be an Installment Agreement, Currently Not Collectible status, an Offer in Compromise, etc.

Depending on the type of penalties assessed and how many tax years are involved you may be able to get a penalty abatement. You should contact a tax attorney. I offer a free consult if you would like to contact me directly to discuss your options.

4. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, you should consult a tax attorney. You should be able to find one that will stop the garnishment and negotiate a resolution for a reasonable rate. Good luck!

Andrew B. Gordon, CPA, Esq.
    abg@gordonlawltd.com
    847-580-1279