Can I get in trouble if I unknowing sent an inapropiate pic to a minor?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fresno, CA

I got a phone number online assuming it was an adult female. I txt an inapropiate pic thinking it was ok. I recieved a msg back I guess from a parent saying i sent it to their son. They said they turned my phone number to their phone company who would contact the authorities. This is a big misunderstanding. Am I in trouble?

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . This is a big problem. Don't discuss this with anyone except a criminal defense attorney who should speak on your behalf. P.S. I may be very out of touch, but I don't think adult females are attracted to inappropriate photos.

2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

4

1

Answered . They will subpoena your online activities to investigate if it was intentional or not. If it was knowingly or reasonable obvious based on your online activities they have a case against you.

3. Barry Franklin Poulson

5

Answered . It is not so much that sending an inappropriate photo was an incredibly bad idea, but that it is quite possibly illegal. I would be alert for some kind of shakedown or blackmail, but I agree with my colleague that you should contact a criminal defense attorney. You may then want to avoid using any electronic device until you grow some common sense. 10 - 12 years should do it, about what you might face in criminal charges.

4. Jemal K Yarbrough

3

Answered . As everyone has said, you potentially have a serious problem. However, based on your narrative, I would not start biting my fingernails off just yet. The parents reported you to their "phone company" not the police. So far it is not a criminal matter. As a practical matter, I would print out and keep all message with the person you thought was an adult female (including text messages) in case you have to prove that it was an accident. i would also suggest finding a good criminal attorney just in case. And as everyone else noted, I would not talk about the incident with anyone.

Best of luck to you.

5. Rodney Richard Rusca

1

Answered . You may be in trouble. It depends on what happened. The father hasn't gone to the police, maybe nothing will come of it. Maybe they are just messing with you. I would discontinue communication with the phone number and forget this happened (except that you will not do it again). Best of luck, if it hits the fan call for a free consult 559-268-1600.