Can I get in trouble if I unknowing sent an inapropiate pic to a minor?

Fresno, CA |

I got a phone number online assuming it was an adult female. I txt an inapropiate pic thinking it was ok. I recieved a msg back I guess from a parent saying i sent it to their son. They said they turned my phone number to their phone company who would contact the authorities. This is a big misunderstanding. Am I in trouble?

This is a big problem. Don't discuss this with anyone except a criminal defense attorney who should speak on your behalf. P.S. I may be very out of touch, but I don't think adult females are attracted to inappropriate photos.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

It is not so much that sending an inappropriate photo was an incredibly bad idea, but that it is quite possibly illegal. I would be alert for some kind of shakedown or blackmail, but I agree with my colleague that you should contact a criminal defense attorney. You may then want to avoid using any electronic device until you grow some common sense. 10 - 12 years should do it, about what you might face in criminal charges.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

They will subpoena your online activities to investigate if it was intentional or not. If it was knowingly or reasonable obvious based on your online activities they have a case against you.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

How many days would it take to have peace of mind that there wont be any charges pressed?

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

Not to be facetious but you should count in years not days. You can't be safe until the statute of limitations has run which is 3 years. You'd best think about something else and hire an attorney.

Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

If you're really worried about it then it probably means that the alleged online communication to an adult female that was really a minor boy seems to not be as innocent as you claim.

As everyone has said, you potentially have a serious problem. However, based on your narrative, I would not start biting my fingernails off just yet. The parents reported you to their "phone company" not the police. So far it is not a criminal matter. As a practical matter, I would print out and keep all message with the person you thought was an adult female (including text messages) in case you have to prove that it was an accident. i would also suggest finding a good criminal attorney just in case. And as everyone else noted, I would not talk about the incident with anyone.

Best of luck to you.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Jemal K. Yarbrough, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Jemal K. Yarbrough may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.

You may be in trouble. It depends on what happened. The father hasn't gone to the police, maybe nothing will come of it. Maybe they are just messing with you. I would discontinue communication with the phone number and forget this happened (except that you will not do it again). Best of luck, if it hits the fan call for a free consult 559-268-1600.

Internet law topics