Skip to main content

Can i get in trouble for my roommate having stolen items from a home burglary in my apartment, which is also his apartment

San Diego, CA |

my apartment was raided by the police, and they tore my apartment apart, and took my roommate away and put him in jail and his charges are first degree burglary and committing a felony while out on bail, some of the items that he stole he kept in our apartment, and i did not know about them. I was not there when the police did the raid. Can i get in trouble for stuff that he did?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. you clearly were not arrested and aren't a suspect. I would leave his property alone--probably time to move away from that roommate.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  2. It is possible. Since you were not there when the raid took place, police may want to speak to you about your roommate's activities and where and when you saw him bring in certain items. Academically, theoretically and hypothetically, your answers could support charges against you for aiding and abetting and/or conspiracy, among other charges.

  3. Perhaps. Possession of stolen property is a crime, so depending on the specific facts of your case, you may find yourself in some trouble. A defense attorney can get involved now to speak with police and prosecutors to get your side of the story across without the fear of anything you say on your own behalf later being misunderstood and used against you in court. You should obtain a free consultation from a San Diego County defense attorney to learn more about what can be done to ensure the best possible result.

    Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381

  4. Possibly, but not very likely...unless there's something more to this. In the interim, keep quiet about what you did or did not know and hire a locally experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you if you are contacted by law enforcement.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics