Can I get in trouble for ignoring jury summons?

I'm in college and I keep getting jury summons and every time I throw them away. I got a little warning postcard I the mail. What can they do to me for not appearing?

The court can issue a bench warrant for your arrest for not appearing as summoned. You may want to look into whether a warrant exists for your arrest and/or try to look into whether you can simply get a new Summons for new jury duty. If you have a warrant, hire counsel immediately. www.taubcriminaldefense.com

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

But I haven't been assigned to any case they just sent me a general summons. Someone told me the worst is a hefty fine

Richard Franklin Taub

Richard Franklin Taub

If you received a true Summons, there is an actual case.

You are defying a court order. Not a good idea.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

Yes, you can 'get in trouble'. Not a good idea to start out your post college working life by having to explain an arrest history for defying court orders--- it goes to your character.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.