Can I get in trouble for filing IRS tax returns as single when married? Is that considered Fraud?

Asked 9 months ago - Oxnard, CA

My husband and I have lived separated since we got married. He passed away and now I found that he had been filing single on his tax returns. I haven't worked he was supporting me. Could I get in trouble for the way he filed his tax returns?

1. Brian Joseph Munson

13

Best Answer

Answered . Intentionally filing using the wrong status is illegal and could be considered tax fraud/evasion. However, your situation seems a little different. You both should have filed a joint return or married filing separately. Since he filed a separate return which you were not on, you should have no liability. If something does arise, you should look into innocent spouse relief.

2. Kevin Matthew Sayed

7

1

Answered . If you have been separated and filing individually then that is not probably not going to give rise to the IRS taking actions against you and claiming fraud. The actions you took likely did nothing to help you financially game the tax system which is what the IRS usually looks for in fraud situations. Additionally, filing as single you usually pay more taxes, and the IRS typically hits you with penalties on the amounts you underpaid. The way he filed his returns, especially since you were separated and if you did not sign the returns he filed, should almost definitely get you innocent spouse relief in the event the IRS tried to pursue you for some reason.

3. Robb Adam Longman

Pro

7

1

Answered . You cannot get into trouble for the way your deceased husband filed since you did not sign the returns. He should have filed married filing separate.

4. Richard Gordon Stack

5

1

Answered . As the other attorneys have mentioned, you cannot be held responsible for your husband's erroneous filing of returns claiming "single" filing status. However, due to the income attribution feature of California community property laws, you were required to file your own tax returns, separately reporting your 50% community interest in your husband's earnings and income. However, it sounds like you may have a viable claim for innocent spouse relief under IRC Section 66, since you failed to include items of community income on your tax returns. For that matter, you did not even file tax returns! To claim innocent spouse relief, you may be required to file income tax returns for the last 6 years as a married person filing separately.

You will need to consult with an experienced tax attorney or CPA as to exactly how you should file those returns. For example, the tax professional could advise you to report your 50% community property interest in your husband's earnings as income on your tax returns and then "back out" those amounts on the ground that you have $0 tax liability because you're an innocent spouse under IRC Section 66. Alternatively, you could report your income and your tax liability as $0 on your tax return but the IRS could construe such a "zero" return as a form of tax protest activity.

This is something that you definitely should not do on your own. You need a highly competent tax professional (preferably an attorney) to assist you in this matter. Good luck!

5. Thomas J. Wagner

3

1

Answered . You ought to look into filing amended returns (1040X) for the sole purpose of changing the filing status to married filing jointly and getting a refund from the government. The downside of doing this is that it would potentially make you liable if he committed fraud on his return by failing to report income or taking deductions he wasn't entitled to. Discuss this with a tax attorney and/or a CPA