Can I get full custody of my 10 months old daughter, after her father abandoned her when she was 6 weeks old?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pompano Beach, FL

My husband abandoned me and my 6 weeks old baby for another woman. Haven't hear from him for weeks. Now he wants to see the baby, I won't allow him until we go through the divorce. He can get visitation after the divorce. Is it legal to keep the baby away from him until then? I don't receive any support from him what so ever. and also can ask for back child support?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Gregory Thomas Buckley


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are married, then he has as much right to the child as you. Not allowing him to see the child until after the divorce is probably not a good idea, will not look good to a judge, and is most likely not in your daughter's best interests. You are able to ask for child support going back to the date of your separation.

  2. Karen Tallent Munzer


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Father has equal rights to his daughter. If you interfere with his ability to share time with his daughter he will have a claim of parental alienation against you. Judges do not look upon this fondly. Consult with a family law attorney. Your daughter also has the right of child support, and shared medical expenses dating from her birth 10 months ago. An attorney can help you get the arrearages owed to you.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you have to bring a petition to Court for that, but depending on the state law, yes you can.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell:... more
  4. Elizabeth Jones

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You have no right to keep the baby from him. Until a court says otherwise you have equal rights to the child.

    Elizabeth Jones Esq
    20 Corporate Park. Suite 175
    Irvine California 92606

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,083 answers this week

2,936 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,083 answers this week

2,936 attorneys answering