Skip to main content

Can I get free legal aid help for immigration papers?

Dozier, AL |

I would like to find out if I can get free legal aid to help my fiancee get her papers to stay in the US. I would like to also know a list of lawyers that I can talk to to help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are free walk in or legal aid clinics. There are also "low" bono practitioners. You can find lists from the USCIS web site, calling the United Way, or the legal aid associations in your area or often from religious organizations. Just to make one thing clear: Your fiancee' - you can't do the fiance visa if your fiance is in the U.S., and if you plan to get married, then you can file a one-step package-- however, you will need to sponsor her on an affidavit of support and if you cannot qualify, including income and assets, then, you will need a joint sponsor who pledges that there will be enough funds and assets to sponsor her to immigrate. Further, if she has entered illegally, then you face a waiver and consular processing. You could start with, Legal Services Alabama 1-866-456-4995 -(Your Post indicates AL location) (Remember-- you indicate free legal help but also keep in mind-- if you have income and assets to qualify to sponsor your fiancee). Good Luck.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer