Can I get fired or demoted for giving my coworkers corporate phone number?

Somers Point, NJ |

I have been out for a week injured. I am due to return tomorrow. I am a shift manager at dd and my coworkers have been texting me complaints about management being verbally abusive. So I text those employees corporate headquarters number. Someone ratted me out and showed the manager the text and he took a picture of that text.

Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, if you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason (although not for discriminatory reasons). However, the National Labor Relations Board has held that it is a violation of the National Labor Relations Act to retaliate against an employee for discussing the terms and conditions of employment with other employees. It sounds as if your situation may fall into that category. Until the employer takes retaliatory action, however, there is likely nothing to do but wait and see what happens.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

2. We're you not supposed to do that? Is there a company handbook?

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

3. If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

Hire a NJ attorney.