Can i get fired from my job from making mistakes?

Billerica, MA |

i'm pregnant and i was about to go for my maternity leave. are they trying to find something against me.

1. Yes; this may well be a "pretext" firing--that happens when they are really firing you because you're pregnant, but they claim that they are firing you because you made a mistake, stole a ball point pen, arrived 1 minute late, etc.

Call an employment attorney ASAP (tomorrow) and be careful about talking to anyone else until you contact an attorney.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

2. I'm sorry you're dealing with this stress, especially during your pregnancy.

As an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason, or no reason at all, as long as you're not being fired for an illegal reason, such as being pregnant. That being said, if they're trying to fire you for another reason, such as being late, but the real reason behind the termination is your pregnancy, it is a 'pretext' as the other attorney answer suggests. However, from the very limited facts you've provided here there is no way to answer your question.

I would highly recommend you seek a consultation with an employment attorney in your area as soon as possible. Many offer free consultations, so you may want to start there. A consultation is the best way to get an idea of your rights and whether they were potentially violated. Try to seek a consultation as soon as possible, as there are time limits involved with situations such as this. Good luck moving forward.

www.rngbankruptcy.com My responses to questions on Avvo or other internet sites are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or anyone at my firm. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services which I provide to my clients.

3. Call Attorney Callahan for a free consultation and hire her if you have a case,. She gave you very good advice.