Can I get fired for a disorderly conduct ticket?

I work for mps. My attorney and I filed a complaint against the principal and several other employees at the school I work for. A few days later I recieved a disorderly conduct at my sons school when I went to check on his behavior. The principal and I had a disagreement. The ticket accuses me of taken a swing at my son and yelling in the hallway causing a disturbance. None of this is true. This week the principal gave me a letter telling me that I have a displinary hearing next week due an ordinance violation that is job related and that I threatening, intimidating and used abusive language to board employees. I did none of the above. I think they are about to fire me due to the disorderly conduct ticket.

Milwaukee, WI -

Andrew Joel Golden

Andrew Joel Golden

Criminal Defense Attorney - Milwaukee, WI

I moved this to the employment section, since your question isn't really a criminal defense - related one. As for whether you can get fired, I'm not suggesting I'm an employment law expert, but I'd just note that Wisconsin is an at-will employment state, meaning that you can be terminated without reason except for certain limited circumstances, and unless you have language in your employment contract prohibiting your termination under specific circumstances. If you're having a disciplinary hearing, my advice would be to retain counsel and defend yourself at this hearing with all of the evidence in support of your contention that you didn't do anything worthy of being fired.

Michael C. Witt

Michael C. Witt

Criminal Defense Attorney - Jefferson, WI

If you are a union member, contact your union.

If not, as already indicated, you need to consult an employment attorney.

Randy T. Enochs

Randy T. Enochs

Employment / Labor Attorney - Milwaukee, WI

Wisconsin law makes it unlawful to discriminate against an employee for their arrest and conviction record. The law differs on suspensions related to arrests and terminations for conviction records. You will want to consult with an employment attorney to go over this in detail as these are complex, fact-specific matters.