Can I get fired for a disorderly conduct ticket?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

I work for mps. My attorney and I filed a complaint against the principal and several other employees at the school I work for. A few days later I recieved a disorderly conduct at my sons school when I went to check on his behavior. The principal and I had a disagreement. The ticket accuses me of taken a swing at my son and yelling in the hallway causing a disturbance. None of this is true. This week the principal gave me a letter telling me that I have a displinary hearing next week due an ordinance violation that is job related and that I threatening, intimidating and used abusive language to board employees. I did none of the above. I think they are about to fire me due to the disorderly conduct ticket.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Joel Golden

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I moved this to the employment section, since your question isn't really a criminal defense - related one. As for whether you can get fired, I'm not suggesting I'm an employment law expert, but I'd just note that Wisconsin is an at-will employment state, meaning that you can be terminated without reason except for certain limited circumstances, and unless you have language in your employment contract prohibiting your termination under specific circumstances. If you're having a disciplinary hearing, my advice would be to retain counsel and defend yourself at this hearing with all of the evidence in support of your contention that you didn't do anything worthy of being fired.

  2. Michael C. Witt


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are a union member, contact your union.

    If not, as already indicated, you need to consult an employment attorney.

    Good luck.

    This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the... more
  3. Randy T. Enochs

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Wisconsin law makes it unlawful to discriminate against an employee for their arrest and conviction record. The law differs on suspensions related to arrests and terminations for conviction records. You will want to consult with an employment attorney to go over this in detail as these are complex, fact-specific matters.

Related Topics

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering