Can I get financing for a used car as an International Doctoral Student in Mississippi?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hattiesburg, MS

I am studying at a university in Mississippi as an international doctoral student and earning a stipend . I have a Social Security Number and a Mississippi drivers license . I have not been here for long and I have at least 3 years ( at most 5 years ) to complete my studies . It is difficult getting around because the public transportation system is next to non existent . Everybody seem to just drive . Wondering if there are any places where I can get auto financing for a used car without any money down but will make payments every month until the car is paid for in full . .

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Good question. As an immigration attorney I would not know, but from experience with my friends not clients, I do,. Yes, you can, but the financing time shall not exceed the validity length of your status and you will need a co-signer who is on a more permanent basis here. Good luck.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

3

Answered . This is not an immigration question. You will need to inquire with the dealership, bank.... regarding their qualifications for financing.

3. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

1

Answered . The major issue you may encounter as an international student is the lack of credit history. Even if you have a a SSN, and unless you already have a credit card issued, car dealerships and banks find difficult to understand your repaying capability.
    However, this is not an impossible task. You need to find the right dealer willing to work with you. It takes patience. Look around and see if you are able to negotiate a good deal. Talk to an attorney in your area.
    Best

4. Jonathan H Levy

Answered . You can try and if they give you credit fine; it has no relationship with your immigration status.