Skip to main content

Can I get financing for a used car as an International Doctoral Student in Mississippi?

Hattiesburg, MS |

I am studying at a university in Mississippi as an international doctoral student and earning a stipend . I have a Social Security Number and a Mississippi drivers license . I have not been here for long and I have at least 3 years ( at most 5 years ) to complete my studies . It is difficult getting around because the public transportation system is next to non existent . Everybody seem to just drive . Wondering if there are any places where I can get auto financing for a used car without any money down but will make payments every month until the car is paid for in full . .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is not an immigration question. You will need to inquire with the dealership, bank.... regarding their qualifications for financing.


Good question. As an immigration attorney I would not know, but from experience with my friends not clients, I do,. Yes, you can, but the financing time shall not exceed the validity length of your status and you will need a co-signer who is on a more permanent basis here. Good luck.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


The major issue you may encounter as an international student is the lack of credit history. Even if you have a a SSN, and unless you already have a credit card issued, car dealerships and banks find difficult to understand your repaying capability.
However, this is not an impossible task. You need to find the right dealer willing to work with you. It takes patience. Look around and see if you are able to negotiate a good deal. Talk to an attorney in your area.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


You can try and if they give you credit fine; it has no relationship with your immigration status.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer