Skip to main content

Can I get financial recovery from Fidelity mismanagement?

Redlands, CA |

Fidelity talked me into trying a managed account, but after a year I wanted it stopped as not keeping up with market. My agent was to research funds, but dragged it out for months. I called to say I wanted it out now, and he went out for vacation again. I played phone tag with his replacement, and I finally got him on Friday, but he said market closed so would have my agent call on Monday. He didn't and I tried him for several days. I called the 800# to demand it close now, but they said it would take 2 days! From Friday to when they finally closed the account, the market dropped 500 points, and it cost me ~ ten grand. Can I get financial recovery from their poor service and mismanagment? (Can't explain it in detail with limited text space).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


To prevail on a claim, you will need to establish negligence on the part of Fidelity and or/ its agent caused your loss. It isn't clear to me from your message whether you can in fact make out a claim for negligence, but it may be possible.

Since this is a securities matter, there is undoubtedly an arbitration provision in your contract documents with Fidelity and/or your agent, requiring that most claims be arbitrated before an agency whose acronym is FINRA. There may be an exception in the provision for claims that can be presented to a small claims court, and the small claims limit in CA now is $10K in some cases. You thus may be able to avoid arbitration by waiving any claim over $10K and going to small claims court -- but it will depend on the contract documents.

If you have questions, you should contact a lawyer who has experience in FINRA securities proceedings and negligence with respect to securities agents and brokers.

Good luck to you.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer