Can I get evicted if i own my mobile home

Fairmont, WV |

I bought my mobile home in 1989 and set it up on my in-laws land. A few years later the land was sold to my stepfather. He let me stay all these years lot rent free now he is trying to evict me can he do this

1. Was there rent paid? Mobile homes are most often sitting on rented land, and are not real estate as would be a regular home where you own the structure and the land it sits on. If this was a rented land situation, yes he can evict you, but meaning your home moves with you - you own that and he's not entitled to it.

However, if you never paid rent, perhaps you could make a claim for adverse possession (ownership by open, hostile use continuously for a period of time) of the land it sits on, the land around it you maintained, and the land on which your driveway access lies. You need to speak to an experienced real estate lawyer there in Fairmont.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

Landlord-tenant law topics