Can I get evicted?

Asked 9 months ago - Houston, TX

I received letters from lawyers saying I was getting evicted & never received a notice. Is this legal?

1. Walter Wilbur Beuhler

4

1

Answered . Depends what the letter says. A Notice to Vacate can be served by mail. One cannot answer whether the letter you received constitutes proper notice. Have a local landlord tenant attorney review the letter(s) and prepare a defense.
    If you wish to check whether a suit for eviction has been filed, check with the clerk in the Justice of the Peace for your precinct.

2. Kevin Matthew Koel

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The letter from the attorney could very well be your one and only notice. A landlord is only required to send a notice to vacate upon a tenant being in default, they do not have to give the tenant a prior warning. Follow the other attorney's suggestion and have the letter reviewed by an attorney. You may have a defense to the eviction as well.

3. Brent Allen Devere

1

1

Answered . The letter from the lawyer could constitute the 3 day notice, assuming it containts the correct information. If they file an eviction suit, they are required to give you proper notice to sue for eviction and/or obtain attorneys' fees.