Can I get evicted?

Houston, TX |

I received letters from lawyers saying I was getting evicted & never received a notice. Is this legal?

The letter from the attorney could very well be your one and only notice. A landlord is only required to send a notice to vacate upon a tenant being in default, they do not have to give the tenant a prior warning. Follow the other attorney's suggestion and have the letter reviewed by an attorney. You may have a defense to the eviction as well.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action. In certain jurisdictions, this response may be considered an advertisement. In such circumstance, Kevin M. Koel is responsible for all content stated in the response. Kevin M. Koel is not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for any particular practice area, nor does Kevin M. Koel claim specialized knowledge in any practice area.

2. Depends what the letter says. A Notice to Vacate can be served by mail. One cannot answer whether the letter you received constitutes proper notice. Have a local landlord tenant attorney review the letter(s) and prepare a defense.
    If you wish to check whether a suit for eviction has been filed, check with the clerk in the Justice of the Peace for your precinct.

3. The letter from the lawyer could constitute the 3 day notice, assuming it containts the correct information. If they file an eviction suit, they are required to give you proper notice to sue for eviction and/or obtain attorneys' fees.

Landlord-tenant law topics