Can I get emancipated in North Carolina at the age of 15?

Spring Lake, NC |

I know I have to be able to support myself 100% and I willl, I pretty much raised myself. I live with my grandparents because my mom hates me and my dad's disabled. I raised my baby brother and I really just want to be on my own and take care of myself.

And I don't have a bad relationship with my grandparents, it's just they're not fair to me.

1. The age requirement is 16. Once you reach 16, you might find it would pay to hire an attorney. There is, however, and oline petition form. You could fill that in most carefully and then ask an attorney to review it.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. It might be a good idea to go talk to the guidance counselor at your school or to a teacher you like, and tell them how you feel. Being alone would be very difficult, but there may be ways to improve your situation without taking this step right now.

Answers on avvo are for educational and informational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact an attorney personally if you need legal representation.