Skip to main content

Can I get earnest money back from a home purchase?

Seattle, WA |

I made an earnest money deposit on a home, then qualify for a home loan. I recently got laid off and want to back out. Is there a way I can back out of the purchase without losing my earnest money?

Attorney Answers 2


Purchase and Sale Agreements in Washington usually include numerous contingencies under which you may be able to back out of the contract (i.e. financing, inspection, title, HOA, etc) depending on the timing of your decision. You should immediately consult with an attorney because time is of the essence in these situations.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Roberts and if your economic conditions changed your financing may not be able to close through no fault of your own. See a lawyer, notify your lender, and stay in contact with your agent. If you get an agreement with the seller you can get your earnest money back. Sooner is better.
Good Luck

If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Please be sure to indicate the best answer Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics