Skip to main content

Can I get divorced applying online from abroad?

Dallas, TX |

My estranged husband is American citizen living in Dallas,TX. I am a foreigner, living outside of USA, separated from him for 14 years already. We were married in Dallas County in 1997. He forced me out of USA 14 years ago. He agrees to divorce me, but apparently lying – haven’t happened for 14 years! What can I do? How long would anyone like their life to be on hold? I don’t have income and cannot afford the lawyer. Can I get divorced applying online from abroad and to whom shall I apply?
Thank you for your help.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You can file documents online, but at some point it is likely you will need to hire an attorney. One, your husband must be served the divorce papers or he must sign a waiver of service. Two, someone needs to appear at the final hearing. If your ex-husband is cooperative, then he could appear. All of these are much easier with an attorney's involvement.

  2. Where are you? As a practical matter I don't know how you can do that without coming to Texas at least for the prove-up of the divorce.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

  3. I agree with Attorneys Kriebel and Moore, and want to add that if you had an attorney, the attorney could probably arrange a telephonic hearing for the prove-up.

    The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics