Can I get divorced applying online from abroad?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

My estranged husband is American citizen living in Dallas,TX. I am a foreigner, living outside of USA, separated from him for 14 years already. We were married in Dallas County in 1997. He forced me out of USA 14 years ago. He agrees to divorce me, but apparently lying – haven’t happened for 14 years! What can I do? How long would anyone like their life to be on hold? I don’t have income and cannot afford the lawyer. Can I get divorced applying online from abroad and to whom shall I apply?
Thank you for your help.

1. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can file documents online, but at some point it is likely you will need to hire an attorney. One, your husband must be served the divorce papers or he must sign a waiver of service. Two, someone needs to appear at the final hearing. If your ex-husband is cooperative, then he could appear. All of these are much easier with an attorney's involvement.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

4

1

Answered . Where are you? As a practical matter I don't know how you can do that without coming to Texas at least for the prove-up of the divorce.

3. Theresa Cay Langford

1

1

Answered . I agree with Attorneys Kriebel and Moore, and want to add that if you had an attorney, the attorney could probably arrange a telephonic hearing for the prove-up.