Can I get divorce papers for my late husband's first marriage?

Chicago, IL |

My husband recently died. I am a lost. I find myself having to arrange several things.

One of my major problem is that in order to claim his pension, or to even settle my citizenship I need to get hold of his divorce papers from his first wife, which was filed in New Jersey.

As his widow, I have letters of administration. How can I get these papers. It seems that everyone needs to confirm that he was divorced before he married me. I have seen it hanging around. Since his death 4 months ago, I have search high and low - not to be found. Please help?

I am sorry for your loss.

Hopefully, you know where your hsband's furst divorce took place in New Jersey. Contact the clerk of the circuit court in thart county and make arrangements to secure a copy of his divorce decree. You might also be able to do some of the preliminary work online if the clerk has a website that contains the information you need.

Good luck!

I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her.

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her. Do not hire Judy Goldstein Posted by Frank, a Divorce client, over 1 year ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable AverageKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 1-3 years ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with 1-2 lawyers. Judy interviews well and comes across as folksy. Once you pay her retainer, however, you're in for a ride. She does not return phone calls yet charges you for leaving voice-mail. She does not explain her bills. She did not advance my cause. She charges for sending a monthly statement then charges to ask questions about the statement but does not address the issues. If you fire her she will attack with a vengeance and generate bills that even a judge cannot understand. I have personally witnessed Judy lie to a judge in open court in order to extract more money from me. Do not hire Judy Goldstein. Painful subject Posted by ANON, over 2 years ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I

For New Jersey, go to http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/process.htm and find the location of the trial court. In New Jersey, the trial courts are called "Superior Court" and there are 21, one for each county. Once you find the appropriate Superior Court, call the clerk and tell them you want to obtain a copy of your husband's divorce decree, giving them the names of the parties and the approximate date. There will be a nominal charge for copying, which if you ask they may even waive. Some clerks want a written request with a stamped self-addressed envelope to make it easier for them.

You get a copy of the Order appointing you as administrator (it's not "letters", it is called an "Order") from the clerk of the probate court that appointed you administrator. Same deal, call the clerk and give her the name of the decedent, your name and the approximate date. If you know the case number of the probate case give them that. Again, there may be a nominal copying charge

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Here, this list of addresses and phone numbers should help you: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/njcourts-10.htm