Skip to main content

Can i get divorce after cross the POE I'm getting my LPR by i601 & 212 waiver extreme hardship ?

New York, NY |

but my husband has someone we have being way for one year i still love him and he doesn't know that i know my someone from his family told me everything can i divorce or i have to wait the 2 to 3 weeks to get the official green card and can him do something to cancel? we got married for love we have being together for more than 6 years

Attorney Answers 3

  1. the problem is that even if your relationship is genuine, it will look fishy if you get divorced the moment you enter the US.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

  2. I'm sorry your question was confusing... To clarify..... Is your entry based on marriage to a US Citizen? How long were you married? Your question says you've been "together". I too agree with the other Attorney. It could look fishy. Find a good immigration attorney Good luck.

  3. you can get the divorece but it very well could cause you prolems as noted by the other attorneys filing so soon after entry. You should speak with an immigration attorney before doing anything.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics