Can I get direct deposit of child support and alimony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

My ex was ordered to pay child support and alimony every month but has been paying late or whenever my ex feels like it. My ex has a steady income and is in the military.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Patrick Joseph Crawford

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Yes, if he is late in his payments or is not paying, you can ask the court that the payments be withheld directly from his paycheck. If your child support order does not already provide for garnishment, you will have to file a petition to modify the child support order to allow for garnishment. When the court grants the request, which it likely will, you can then take that order to the office of child support enforcement, and they will make the arrangement to garnish your ex's paycheck for his ongoing payments and also for his arrears.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,283 answers this week

3,273 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,283 answers this week

3,273 attorneys answering