Can I get custody of my son from his mother?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

I have a 11 year old son with my ex we were never married. Our current order is I have him every other weekend, summers, and school vacations. He lives 2 hours from me. His mother has 2 other kids younger than my son with 2 other guys. She was with her youngest son father for about 8 yrs, and she just left him for a sex offender that she use to date years ago, and he just got out of jail, so she went back with him. The sex offense charge was stat rape, and she was the victim. Anyway since she got back with this guy, she got evicted from her house, lost her job, and her and her kids are bouncing from motel to motel

my son told me that this guy was beating his mother also. My son is with me now but his mother says once she gets back on her feet she is going to take him back. My problem is that she has never been on her feet. My son has not spent more than 1 yr in the same school, her choice in men is just horrible. The fathers of her 2 youngest kids are both felons, and so is the guy she is with now. She has always lived in small 2 bed apts with 3 kids, and her and w/e guy she is dating. I on the other hand own a home, I have another daughter, I have a great job, and can take care of my son. What are the procedures to get my son to live with me full time? Oh and she is now pregnant with the sex offenders child...

I would strongly recommend you immediately retain a family law attorney to assist you in petitioning the Court to get your child out of that situation. My firm offers free case consultations in these matter. Please contact our office immediately, so that we may begin working on your case. My phone number is 813 830 2261, I look forward to working with you. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

My concern is that if I petition the court now, then she will come and take him back. Then he will go back to living with her while this whole thing is pending. My son says he wants to live with me but, he does not want to be seperated from his younger brothers that she has. I don't know what the age is where a child can deciede. But I think if he were asked he would say his mom because he is real close with his brothers.

Jonathan Hackworth

Jonathan Hackworth

Well the Court may consider his thoughts and opinions on the matter, but ultimately the Court will make its decision on what is in the best interest of the child. Frankly, if the Court believes it is in the best interest of the child to be living with you, the Child will be with you despite his/her interest in living with his mother. Give me a call, lets start working on this since it appears time is of the essence considering the situation.

Jonathan Hackworth

Jonathan Hackworth

I would strongly recommend moving quick on this in light of her moving around with your son, would be easiest to serve her if you know where she is located.

I don't know where she is located. She is living in different motels every other day or week. I am at work right now, I plan to call you this evening when I get off. My son is with me right now, he has been since October.

Jonathan Hackworth

Jonathan Hackworth

understood, i look forward to working with you.

You've got some serious issues going on with this. Get a FL family law attorney to help you as soon as you can.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Speak to a local family lawyer as soon as possible. You have a complicated fact pattern that needs time to go over wth a competent lawyer to explore your options.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

You will need to file a petition to modify. This is a complicated situation and you should seek an attorney to help you through this. Please call the Law Firm of Andrenee Anderson, P.A. at (813) 507-1286.

If things are as bad as you say then you need to go for change of custody asap. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

Child custody topics