Can I get custody of my son from his mother?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

I have a 11 year old son with my ex we were never married. Our current order is I have him every other weekend, summers, and school vacations. He lives 2 hours from me. His mother has 2 other kids younger than my son with 2 other guys. She was with her youngest son father for about 8 yrs, and she just left him for a sex offender that she use to date years ago, and he just got out of jail, so she went back with him. The sex offense charge was stat rape, and she was the victim. Anyway since she got back with this guy, she got evicted from her house, lost her job, and her and her kids are bouncing from motel to motel

Additional information

my son told me that this guy was beating his mother also. My son is with me now but his mother says once she gets back on her feet she is going to take him back. My problem is that she has never been on her feet. My son has not spent more than 1 yr in the same school, her choice in men is just horrible. The fathers of her 2 youngest kids are both felons, and so is the guy she is with now. She has always lived in small 2 bed apts with 3 kids, and her and w/e guy she is dating. I on the other hand own a home, I have another daughter, I have a great job, and can take care of my son. What are the procedures to get my son to live with me full time? Oh and she is now pregnant with the sex offenders child...

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jonathan Hackworth


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would strongly recommend you immediately retain a family law attorney to assist you in petitioning the Court to get your child out of that situation. My firm offers free case consultations in these matter. Please contact our office immediately, so that we may begin working on your case. My phone number is 813 830 2261, I look forward to working with you. Good luck.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney... more
  2. Andrenee Anderson


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You will need to file a petition to modify. This is a complicated situation and you should seek an attorney to help you through this. Please call the Law Firm of Andrenee Anderson, P.A. at (813) 507-1286.

  3. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Speak to a local family lawyer as soon as possible. You have a complicated fact pattern that needs time to go over wth a competent lawyer to explore your options.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  4. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If things are as bad as you say then you need to go for change of custody asap. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

  5. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You've got some serious issues going on with this. Get a FL family law attorney to help you as soon as you can.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,540 answers this week

3,293 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,540 answers this week

3,293 attorneys answering